NO LONGER AN ACTIVE BLOGGER! --- REVIEW POLICY

Follow me on Instagram

Tuesday 10 April 2018

Mini-Reviews: Obsidio, Hero at the Fall, School for Good and Evil, Wisps of Memory


   Hello, fellas! Are you in the mood for some mini-reviews? If not, that's a shame since this is what I'm doing today. I'm really bad at writing short reviews but I'm trying to review almost every book I read and when I don't want to go into details about a certain novel I'll be doing these mini-reviews. I kinda like them.

  Anyway, let's get started.


1. Wisps of Memory - ★


Image result for wisps of memory chris

This is the first time I read a short story that's also something like a psychological horror and I loved it!

This isn't my usual kind of read but when the author approached me with a request for a review I decided to give it a shot. The main topic of the text is a very serious one and I believe that deep down every one of us is afraid of being forgotten after death.

It's a very strong story that could also be very relatable to some people. I liked the writing, it's very good, the story is a powerful and sad one, and that's what makes it so good.

2. Obsidio - 


Image result for obsidio

 I love the Illuminae Files trilogy so much, it quickly became one of my favourites! 

 I really don't know how to phrase even this short review because I just don't know what to say. The story is amazing, it's executed very well, everything is written in an excellent way and all of the twists (!), the revelations (!), the feels! I was so engrossed with it that I read 400 pages in a day- something I hardly ever do! 

 I also loved how in Obsidio the story wasn't just about Asha and Rhys, it was also about all of the others from the previous books, I loved that about the finale.

It's also revealed who are the people who describe the events from the surveillance cameras and it's amazing! I would have never thought of it!

This is one of the best and most original trilogies I've read.

3. Hero At The Fall - 

Image result for hero at the fall

  It would have been far better if I could actually remember what the first two books were about so I could probably compare them to the last one which is very good, emotional and just amazing BUT I don't remember anything at all (except for the end of the second book) and it's just hard.

  Anyway, I loved the characters and the challenges, losses, and horrors they had to go through. It was an extremely action-packed and emotional book that utterly destroyed and rebuilt me and I still love the trilogy. I'm so glad I decided to read it.  I like these kinds of books and will  read Alwyn Hamilton's next books for sure.

4. School for Good and Evil - 


 Image result for school for good and evil

  So, I just recently finished this one and I loved it even though there were some things I didn't like.

 This is a middle-grade novel which means that the characters are 12 years old. It is also highly based on fairy tales and I loved that premise and I loved the book for that because it's a very original idea and the novel is very well-written, the characters have an evident development and the story is amazing.

What I didn't like was how much it was based on appearances and even though I understand why it was this way, I just didn't like it. However, a part of the purpose of the book (I think) was to prove that appearances don't matter and I think it succeeded even though I still doubt that Sophie fully understood it.

The other thing is that the girlс from the School for Good thought about boys, wore make-up, the boys went to the gym and had abs and these are 12-year-olds. While I am fully aware that nowadays's children really do these things it is always weird to read about it, it just sounds unnatural.

As I said though, I loved this book and I feel like it was character driven even if it was focused mainly on Agatha and Sophie, I don't mind it because I loved them, I loved the story and I will read the rest of the books (at some point) for sure.

What are some of the books you recently read?
Do you read middle-grade books?

1 comment: