NO LONGER AN ACTIVE BLOGGER! --- REVIEW POLICY

Follow me on Instagram

Wednesday 14 March 2018

My complicated relationship with Tower of Dawn

Image result for tower of dawn
Chaol Westfall has always defined himself by his unwavering loyalty, his strength, and his position as the Captain of the Guard. But all of that has changed since the glass castle shattered since his men were slaughtered, since the King of Adarlan spared him from a killing blow, but left his body broken.

His only shot at recovery lies with the legendary healers of the Torre Cesme in Antica—the stronghold of the southern continent's mighty empire. And with war looming over Dorian and Aelin back home, their survival might lie with Chaol and Nesryn convincing its rulers to ally with them.

But what they discover in Antica will change them both—and be more vital to saving Erilea than they could have imagined.
DISCLAIMER!

If you haven't read Throne of Glass, don't read this due to unintentional spoilers.



Hello, fellas! I've had two blog posts so far that I decided not to publish. The first one is a vlog I did and hated and the other one is the review of this book. I cannot write it because I hate Chaol no matter how this book portrayed him.
Instead of a proper review, I'll just make a list of things I liked and disliked about Tower of Dawn.

Dislikes:

   🕮There was a major info dump at the beginning which I definitely didn't expect from Sarah J. Maas. 
      - While I do understand why she'd want to be done with all of the info she had to give us about Antica, she could've done it in a more interesting way. Because I was falling asleep while I was reading it.

   🕮She finally decided to include some LGBTQ++ in this series
      -While I am very supportive of the LGBTQ++ community, I really don't like how in the previous books it wasn't even mentioned, it's like they never existed but in this book (and in ACOWAR) suddenly appeared all kinds of relationships. I also feel like they aren't portrayed properly and some of them are just clichèd. 

   🕮Chaol
       -I was very disappointed when I found out that this novella was actually a novel because I so wanted to skip it. I am not a person who reads the novellas of a series because they are additional stories and if the author didn't feel like including them in the series, why read them? But no, she had to write a brick of a novel about one of her most despised (by most people) characters.
   
   🕮Yrene
      -While I did like Yrene in the end, I was very annoyed with her at first because she would judge Chaol for just being the King's Capitan of the guard. Judge him for betraying Aelin. And then being a total bastard.

   🕮Nesryn
      - I never liked her and I was bored most of the time during her parts. Besides, she and her new guy kind of remind me of Rhys and Feyre.

Likes:

   🕮 Antica
      - While I was totally bored by the info dump, I loved the new culture and the new characters we were introduced to They are different and interesting- something the book really needed.

   🕮 Nesryn
      - While I still found Nesryn boring, I loved her story (but it took me some time) and I am happy that Sarah found her a guy that was actually logical for them to like each other.

   🕮 Plot
      - The plot was also interesting and well-executed in my opinion. I liked it, it kept me guessing and entertained...but after the info dump.

   🕮 Revelations
      - There were some surprising turns of events that I never saw coming, the twists were exciting, even the once I knew were going to happen but I just was thrilled to finally read about the things I knew were coming.

   🕮 Character development
       - This is maybe the best thing in the whole novel (apart from the action which I forgot to mention). I can say that after reading the book I liked Chaol. But now, I actually cringed as I wrote that because I don't like him, haha. No. I liked him after I read the book but now, months after that I realised that no, I don't like him as an individual, but as a part of his relationship.

      - I loved how all of the characters went through some major character developments and grew a little more. I also loved Yrene's character after I got to know her. I still don't think that she should've judged Chaol for being friends with Dorian BUT I'm judging him for so much more...

  So yeah, this is what I wanted to say. It kinda resembles a review, you may call it one if you want to. I call it a complicated relationship, haha. I really liked the book, to be honest, but it's kind of like Caraval's case- I loved it but the MC was a big turn off, haha.

What do you think about ToD?
Do you like Throne of Glass?
Feel free to leave me a comment!

2 comments:

  1. I haven’t read it yet but honestly I didn’t like Chaol from the very beginning. I’m reluctant to pick this book up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is good, I just don't like him but it's probably a good idea if you intend to finish the series.

      Delete