NO LONGER AN ACTIVE BLOGGER! --- REVIEW POLICY

Follow me on Instagram

Sunday 20 May 2018

Mini-Reviews: Tyrant's Throne, Shadowblack and Charmcaster

Hello, fellas! I've been very lazy and absent recently because all I've been doing is reading, writing and watching anime but I also don't have any ideas for posts.

Today, I am finally here with some mini-reviews of the last three books by Sebastien de Castell that I finally read.
1. Tyrant's Throne


Image result for tyrant's throne

I have a POST about the FIRST THREE books of the series HERE.

I LOVED this book. I adore the series, it's one of my favourites of ALL TIME. I love the world, the characters and the stories. I can't believe how much I loved them and I wish there were MORE BOOKS.

Falcio, Kest and Brasti are one of the best characters I've read about, I love them so much (yes, I'm gonna repeat myself a lot) and I am so happy with the ending and how things turned out. I would be very happy if the author planned a spin-off, it would be amazing! 

I love reading about war. The trio gets thrown into an even bigger problem than before and they had to stand against even bigger odds than usual. Falcio went through a lot of shit and betrayal and it was finally revealed how he defeated Kest in this duel that happened between them long ago.

One of the things that I love about Sebastien de Castell's writing is the descriptions of fights, duels and the way Falcio's brain works. I love reading about him and how he gets his job done.

There are so many things that I'd love to say but I am just speechless because I LOVE this book and I can't say anything else...

(Yes, this isn't even a proper mini-review, don't judge me.)

2. Shadowblack

Related image

This is the second book in the Spellslinger series and I have a full-length REVIEW for the first one.

I loved the first book even though I gave it 3 stars and I was excited for the second one. I enjoyed it very much, I came to love Kellen, Firius and Reichis more, they are amazing characters that get thrown into very dangerous situations quite too often. The odds are always against them and I just love how things turn out and the events that happen in the book. 

I liked it way more than Spellslinger even though I believe that the beginning was a little slow. The development of the story was very well delivered and we even learn some more about the Argosi.

I believe that Kellen develops a lot as a character and his relationship with Reichis also gets stronger. Reichis is one of the funniest characters I've read about and sometimes I find his advice to be quite good. He always threatens to eat people's eyeballs or ears which is quite funny.

Ferius is an interesting mysterious character whose job is to teach Kellen the Argosi way. There is more depth to her character than she lets on and I love reading about her.

The plot was quite interesting and this time I actually managed to get what it was and follow it. It wasn't all over the place like in Spellslinger so I am satisfied with it. There was just the right amount of mystery and suspense, the questions asked and fights... I loved it.

3. Charmcaster

Related image

I am just so happy that this series keeps getting better and better. 

Kellen and co are again in big, big trouble and this time they are in a bigger mess than usual. Hahaha, feel like you've read this line before? Yes, just like Falcio and co, Kellen and his friends also have an abundance of bad luck and people who want to kill them for one reason or another. I always find this quite amusing.

It starts with action right off the bat and continues like this the whole time. I loved it for this and for so many different reasons.

With this new book, old characters appear again which reminded me why I fell in love with the series in the first place - the characters. GOD, I love reading about such well-written characters. Some of them are so frustratingly annoying and close-minded that I just want to reach into the book and strangle them. I believe that I would make the lives of my favourite characters way easier.

Kellen just keeps getting better and better. His fighting abilities may be poor but his mind is sharp (when he remembers to use it, OFC) and his hands are fast which is the most important thing that keeps him alive.

My favourite part of the book is when we learn a little more about Ferius which just made me love her even more. I just like her character so much anyway but after reading this part of the story, I just couldn't help it but respect her even more.

I mentioned old characters and so, it's time to introduce you to Nephenia- she is no longer the weak girl we met in Spellslinger, now she is stronger, or at least she tries to be, and lets nobody give her shit about anything. At first, I was not a big fan of her but I started to like her the moment I saw the development she's gone through. I like that. I hope I can read more about her in the next books.

Shalla. I don't really want to talk about Kellen's younger sister but she was so annoying and infuriating, she is so close-minded and just awful. If I were Kellen, I would have slapped her because she is also ungrateful. But Kellen being the good brother and person he is didn't even think of it.

As I already said, the story this time is even more complicated, they are up against something even more dangerous- the possibility of war and encounter even stronger enemies. I found one of them particularly annoying but I was surprised when Kellen realised the reason behind her resentment of the Arhosi while the identity of the other I had guessed from the beginning.

Okay, this became far longer than I expected but I had much more to say than I thought. In short, I loved it and can't wait for the next book that comes out THIS October!

What books have you read recently? Did you enjoy them?
Tell me about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment