NO LONGER AN ACTIVE BLOGGER! --- REVIEW POLICY

Follow me on Instagram

Monday 14 May 2018

Annoying Things Non-Readers Have Said To Me


I haven't been active lately because I started reading, writing and watching anime very frequently and I also didn't have any ideas for blog posts. I have also been more active on Instagram than ever. If you'd like me to write some reading or writing posts/updates or whatever, just let me know by commenting below.

As for this post, I was inspired by a recent Instagram conversation I had with a stranger who basically told me that I wasn't reading the right books and that I, to my utter surprise, was living in a fantasy world. Now, I am a lot of things but delusional isn't one of them. Anyway, this is what inspired me to do this post and I hope you like it.

These are things they've said directly and/or indirectly: 

1. Sometimes people just assume that I live in the books I read or "in a fantasy world" 

Usually, these people are total strangers (or some of my teachers who for some reason believe that I don't know how the world works) who basically tell me that I'm living in the books I read. First of all, what's so bad about it and second of all, no, I am not.

I may be reading most of the time but this doesn't mean that I'm waiting for some alpha-male stranger to get in my room through the window in the middle of the night and to whisk me away on an adventure where I would find that I'm the lost queen of a long forgotten kingdom or something. No, I am a university student who is looking for a job because I don't want to be a burden to my family.

2. You have enough books

No, I don't. One can never have enough books.

3. Are you going to sell the books after you read them?

To this question, I usually ask with one of my own which is "What's the point in buying them if I'm gonna sell them afterwards?" It's not logical at all. This is a terrible idea for a business. I mean, I would buy the book for one price but then I'll have to sell it for a cheaper one because it would be second-hand no matter how well-preserved it is.

And most importantly, why the hell would I want to sell them in the first place? I only recently started unhauling books (that I don't like or never intend on reading) and I am giving them away to my friends and donating to libraries. I have nothing against selling them, it's just that it's very hard to do so while I'm in the UK and my books are in Bulgaria.

4. Well, I don't really read

Don't get me wrong. I don't care if somebody reads or not. I really don't. It's not my business how one decides to live their life, it doesn't even make me sad. Personally, I believe that they haven't found the right book yet. 

It's just that I really HATE it when somebody says that they don't read the way you would say "I don't really smoke" as if I am judging them for not sharing my hobbies as if I am making them read or forcing a book on them. Usually, when somebody says that they don't read I just try to turn the conversation to something both of us can talk about. Otherwise, it gets awkward because they make it so.

5. I prefer reading about REAL things

Let me repeat myself, I don't care what people like or dislike. That is until they insult MY hobbies and MY choices.

I have a friend who hates everything that has to do with the supernatural. I've no idea why. She just likes "real things". And I'm okay with that but she would always say this with a hint in her voice that basically blames me for not liking the same thing. And let me clear it out, she has said that to my face as well and keeps hinting it to this day. It always gets to me but I've learnt to ignore it.

The funny thing is that she doesn't even like reading so I believe that she doesn't have the right to comment on MY reading choices.

6. You don't know what to read

Now, this is just like the previous one. Just because I don't like the same thing as you, it doesn't mean that I don't know what to read.

Several years ago, my friend and I were talking about the books we were reading and a random guy that was sitting close to us was shamelessly eavesdropping. It was pretty obvious, he was staring at us the whole time but we were too engrossed in the conversation to care. At some point, while we were eating (we were at McDonald's) he took the chance to start lecturing us how instead of fiction we were supposed to read our textbooks and read the books for school or something that would teach us about real life. I don't know about you, fellas, but I haven't learnt anything in school that would be useful IRL except that nothing's fair and that everybody thinks about themselves first.

People are different, we have different interests and opinions and I just wish more people would get and acknowledge that.

Tell me, have you heard any of these?
What are some of the annoying things non-readers have said to you?
Also, would you be interested in reading and writing updates from me?

5 comments:

  1. Great post!!! I love this so much!!! Couple of the things that irks me is that when they say "I'll wait for the movie to come out" ummm first of all, how in the heck do you know there's going to be a movie made for this book and second of all, you want to actually miss 85% of what's good so you can sit for 2 hours and stare into a box and watch somebody else's butchered work of my favourite book... 🤷‍♀️ I could go on and on about this one lol

    Another is that when people judge my book preferences. I read a lot of YA Fantasy and I love it and when people comment saying things like "that book says it's appropriate for 14+, how old are you? 15" I want to punch them in the head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I totally get these things! Especially the last one. Even though I'm not a fan of YA, I do read it but there was a specific moment when my mum asked me why I wasn't ashamed of reading Harry Potter in public XD (I was 17) TBH, I feel a little self-conscious when the cover of the book clearly states that I'm reading erotica XD XD XD

      Delete
  2. Frankly, what gets me are people who say they don't read like it somehow makes them superior to readers. Even more so if they claim to be writers. How do you know anything about readers if you know nothing about their lives and preferences? As they say "Reading is Fundamental".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, I haven't met anybody like this but wow, it can be annoying...

      Delete
  3. Ugh YES I've had a lot of these!! And someone on twitter the other day told me to sell some books because I obviously have to many and I'm just ???? Like mind your own business for starters.😂Also I hate it when people tell me I read too much, like I'm not "properly absorbing" the books if I read fast. Why can't we just read the pace we want?! Less judgement to bookworms!!

    ReplyDelete